Friday, July 19, 2013

Chicken and Black Bean Salad

The recipe for this tasty southwestern-flavored main dish salad is another one that comes via a reader contribution to a Taste of Home Magazine from many years ago. I am so thankful that I keep all of these old magazines with my notes from the times when I first tried the recipe. I have been rediscovering many recipes that I haven't made in years, and the rediscovery process has been fun.

I remember when we moved my mom and dad from one home to another many years ago and I came across boxes of old magazines that mom had saved, some going back to my teen years. I'm not there. I'll never forget mom telling my very irritated father that someday she just might want one of those recipes. You know, you just never do know. Some of the old recipes are the absolute best in all the world, especially for making memories around good old-fashioned comfort food. Blessings...

Recipe:

1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 tbsps. fresh lime juice
2 tbsps. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1-1/2 tsps. sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn, drained
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1-1/2 cups cooked chicken strips (Southwestern-flavored chicken strips are wonderful in this dish, if you don't want to cook your own).
torn romaine lettuce

1. In a small bowl, mix lime juice, cilantro, sugar, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Allow to sit while you prepare the remainder of the salad as this will allow for the sugar and salt to dissolve in the lime juice.
2. In a large salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, red pepper, green onions and chicken pieces.
3. Slowly drizzle the oil into the lime juice and spices while whisking to blend completely.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly.
5. Place torn romaine lettuce on dinner plates and top with salad. By doing it this way, if you have leftovers you won't have wilted lettuce in the salad. Cover the leftover salad and store in the refrigerator for another meal. Simple and delicious!

Yield: 6 cups salad


No comments: