Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Broccoli and Cranberry Salad

My family really likes the traditional broccoli salad recipe that is made with bacon and raisins, so I decided to try this recipe that I found in an old "Taste of Home Cooking School" magazine this week. The twist in this recipe is the cranberries, in place of the raisins, and the addition of Cheddar cheese. I changed the dressing ingredients to better suit our tastes and lower the calorie count. Always important for those of us who love to have dessert! Blessings...

Recipe:

5 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped red onion (I didn't have red onion so I used green onion)
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup crumbled cooked bacon, about 12 meaty slices fried crisply
1 cup sunflower kernels
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries

Dressing:

1 cup fat-free or reduced-fat mayonnaise (I used 1/2 cup light mayonnaise and 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt)
2 tbsps. sugar
2 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. In a large bowl, combine the salad ingredients and mix well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth.
3. Add dressing to salad and stir until the ingredients are well coated; cover and chill for at least an hour to blend flavors.

Yield: 8-10 servings


No comments: