Friday, October 25, 2013

Taco Soup

Years ago when we lived in California, my husband tasted this soup at a potluck at work. He liked the soup so much that he brought the recipe home for me to make. Like so many recipes I have, it was put in a drawer and forgotten. I came across it awhile ago and decided to give it a try. I didn't have all the ingredients on the pantry shelf so I had to make a few substitutions, but they worked. The recipe is basically a "dump" recipe. You know, the kind of recipe in which you open a can and dump it in the pot? We ate the soup without the taco chips and cheese, and because it has such good flavor it is still a delicious soup. Saves calories, as well. So easy to throw together at the end of a busy day when everyone is hungry. Blessings...

Recipe: 

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz. can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 16 oz. can Mexican style tomatoes, undrained
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies, undrained
1 small can sliced olives, drained
1 cup beef broth
Tortilla chips, Mexican 4 cheese blend, if desired

1. In a large soup kettle, brown ground beef and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except tortilla chips and cheese. Cook over medium heat until heated through. (I covered the pot and simmered the soup for about 20 minutes to blend the flavors).
3. Put broken tortilla chips in each soup bowl and ladle soup over. Top with cheese.

Yield: 9 1/3 cups
Note: I didn't have Mexican tomatoes, so I used plain diced canned tomatoes. I also didn't have a pkg. of taco seasoning, so I used 2 tsps. Southwest Seasoning and 1 tsp. ground cumin. I had leftover olives in the refrigerator so I sliced about 1/4 cup. All worked very well.

2 comments:

Patti said...

It was wonderful talking with you today. I am "following" again...not sure what happened to remove me.

As you know, easy recipes are my thing. While my daughter enjoys complicated, time-consuming recipes, I don't. This looks just up my alley! And not only is it easy, it's Mexican...one of my favorite cuisines.

I will definitely be making this. Thanks for sharing.

Love,
Patti

Suzanne said...

Patti,
Thank you so much for the visit, both on the phone and here on my blog. I hope you like the soup; I love it.