Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cream of Pea Soup

There are very few soup recipes as easy as this one, especially pea soup. This recipe starts with a can of peas, which I had never used until I came across this Taste of Home reader-contributed recipe. Now I make sure I have a can of evaporated milk and a can of peas on my pantry shelf just in case the day gets away from me and I need something in a hurry. I serve a sandwich, or crackers and cheese alongside. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 can (15 ounces) peas
2 tbsps. finely chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
2 cups water
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

1. Drain peas, reserving 1/3 cup of liquid. Place the peas and liquid in a blender or food processor; cover and puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt, pepper and sage until smooth. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
3. Whisk in milk and pureed peas; heat through. Garnish with bacon.

Yield: 5 cups

No comments: