Friday, August 22, 2014

Chai Tea Mix

I love chai tea, so I was buying a prepared mix in order to have it at home. The mix was costing about $5.00 for a 10 ounce can, which didn't last long! Rather than give up this morning treat, I started looking for a recipe that was economical and tasty that I could make in a larger batch at home. The recipe I tried was far to sweet for my taste, it didn't have enough tea flavor, and it was boring when it came to the spice flavors. This recipe is the result of a few changes and adjustments to the original recipe. Blessings...

Recipe: 

3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1-1/4 cups sugar, more if you like it really sweet
1-1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea, regular or decaf
3/4 cup vanilla powdered nondairy creamer
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground anise

1. Place all the ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor; cover and process for about 5 minutes.
2. Remove lid and scrape down sides of work bowl. Replace lid and process for about 5 minutes more or until the mixture is a very fine powder.
3. Store mix in an airtight 1-quart container for up to 6 months.

To prepare one serving, place 3 level tablespoons in a small mug and add 3/4 cup boiling water; stir well. If your mugs are large like mine are, you will need another tablespoon of the mix for good flavor.

33 calories per tablespoon
Tip: This mix makes a great and economical gift packaged in a pretty container.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I don't go on blogs every day, I missed this earlier. I'm glad you referenced to it in your apple muffin recipe.

I love chai too, but the store-bought stuff is so expensive. And going to Starbucks to get one is even more cost-prohibitive. Finding a yummy homemade one is definitely necessary. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Love,
Patti

Suzanne said...

Patti,
I'm so glad you enjoyed the chai as much as I do. Keeping my container full of the mix is an absolute must!