Friday, September 12, 2014

Zesty Zucchini

When I was growing up, especially during the summer months when zucchini was growing like weed in our garden, my mom made a zucchini dish cooked in canned tomatoes and topped with cheddar cheese. I thought I would adapt what mom taught me and make the dish with a Mexican flair. The zucchini cooks crisp-tender in a cumin-scented tomato sauce and is topped with gooey Mexican cheese. We loved it. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cups sliced zucchini, 2 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4-inch slices
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (14.5-oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup Mexican Four Cheese Blend

1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
2. Add zucchini, tomatoes, and spices; stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
3. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and simmer 3 - 4 minutes more, or until cheese is melted.

Yield: 3-1/4 cups
175 calories per approximately 3/4-cup serving
2 gms. fiber


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! Gabrielle makes a zucchini parmesan, which I love. It started as eggplant parmesan, but I don't like the texture of eggplant and won't eat it, so she uses zucchini for half the pan. YUM!

Suzanne said...

Thank you so much, Patti! I also love Zucchini Parmesan; I'll have to try Gabrielle's recipe some time. Blessings, friend.