Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cranberry-Cabbage Slaw

This recipe came from a moment of need when fixing dinner one evening, and I didn't have the foggiest idea what I wanted to put on the table. This isn't normal for me; the keeper of lists and pre-planned menus, but this was one of THOSE days. The recipe is based on the idea of an Asian coleslaw recipe that has been popular with our family for years, find that recipe posted on 5/20/2013, but, I didn't have those ingredients in my pantry, so I used what I did have. The salad needs to be prepared two hours before serving to blend the flavors, so do plan in advance. Blessings...

Recipe:

3 cups shredded cabbage
2 green onion, sliced
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
2 tsps. sesame seed, toasted lightly in a frying pan
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsps. Best Blend Oil or oil of choice
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsps. sliced Butter Toffee Glazed Almonds or Honey Roasted Almonds

1. Combine first four ingredients in a salad bowl.
2. Measure vinegar into a small bowl; slowly drip in oil while whisking to thoroughly combine.
3. Stir dressing into salad. Taste, and add salt and pepper, if needed.
4. Refrigerate for two hours to blend flavors before serving.
5. At serving time, stir salad and sprinkle with almonds.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Note: I didn't figure out the calorie count because most of the dressing will be poured down the drain after serving the salad with a slotted spoon. Basically, the cabbage marinates for two hours producing a wonderfully sweet flavor from the cranberries without added sugar.




No comments: