Friday, March 8, 2013

Whipped Cream Pound Cake

The recipe for this wonderful old-fashioned pound cake comes from the church cookbook of my church where I was raised. I have so many fond memories of potluck suppers, choir suppers and women's gatherings where wonderful food like this was served. Thankfully, our guests, for two separate dinners, all agreed and gave this dessert a "thumbs-up". Pound cake is a cooks best friend when it comes to ease and simplicity, and it freezes beautifully. As you can see by the photo, we served it with ice cream and mixed berries. It was so good; blessings...

Recipe:

3 cups sugar
1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks), softened
7 eggs, room temperature
3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsps. vanilla

1. Butter and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
2. Thoroughly cream sugar and butter in the large bowl of an electric mixer.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Mix in half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the remaining flour. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Set pan in a cold oven and turn on heat to 350 degrees. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.

Tip: Regular all-purpose flour can be used, if you follow this substitution method: Subtract 2 tbsps. of the flour from each cupful and then sift.

Note: This makes a large cake and serves many. I froze it for a few weeks between guests with no change to taste or texture.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

This was the best pound cake I've ever tasted Suzanne! Holly loved it too! Can't wait to make it myself! I just hope I can make it taste as good! And it's my kind of recipe - EASY!! ;)

Suzanne said...

Thank you so much, Elaine. It will certainly turn out wonderful for you and your family!

Elaine said...

The picture is making me want some now! Especially since I KNOW what it tastes like! :D