Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Overnight Tossed Green Salad

When I was a new bride of five months, my husband and I moved from our hometown to Santa Cruz, Ca. This move might as well have been to the moon for me. At that time, I did not make new friends easily at all and I never even considered that I would not live near my family. Little did I know that there would be a time when I would be leaving California, and even further from family and friends.

Early in our time in Santa Cruz, a wonderful and very kind woman befriended me at our new church. We became instant friends, as did our husbands. Thankfully, for me, she was a wonderfully gifted cook and she shared recipes for the dishes that my husband and I enjoyed in their home.

Years ago, overnight green salads were very popular. I had tried many and was not pleased with any of them, until Chris served this one for one of our dinners together. Preparing the salad for a large gathering the night before the meal takes some of the last minute stress out of the meal preparations as guests are arriving. It's so nice to have as much of the meal prepared in advance as possible in order to free up time to enjoy being with our friends and family. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 medium head iceberg lettuce (romaine can also be used)
1 10-oz. pkg. fresh spinach
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen petite peas, thawed
1 lb. pkg. bacon, diced, cooked and drained

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

1. Tear lettuce and spinach into bite-sized pieces into a large salad bowl.
2. Layer onion, tomatoes, peas and bacon over greens.
3. Combine dressing ingredients. Spread over top like frosting, being sure to seal out air. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Toss and serve

Yield: 10 servings





2 comments:

sandy said...

haha i was just looking for this recipe for our easter dinner. i have it on my list:)

Suzanne said...

Sure hope your family enjoys it as much as ours does. Happy Easter!