Thursday, February 5, 2015

Healthy Snack Bars

This kid-friendly snack is made with healthy ingredients like peanuts, raisins, applesauce, bran and oatmeal. These bars remind me of a breakfast cookie; nutrition on the run. I love them for a snack or quick pick-me-up when I get hungry. I adapted this recipe from one that I clipped out of "Woman's Day Magazine" years ago when my son was a child. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/3 cup unprocessed bran
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened, natural applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup raisins (other dried fruit could also be used)

1. Combine oats, flour, bran, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside
2. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, applesauce and vanilla until combined.
3. Stir in oat mixture; mix well. Stir in peanuts and raisins using a spoon.
4. Pat evenly in a greased 9 x 9-inch pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yield: 20 bars
118 calories each
1.7 gms. fiber


No comments: