Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bryan Ehrenholm's Gooey Chewy Chocolate Cookies

When we lived in Modesto, Bryan Ehrenholm was the owner of a deli and, I believe, bakery combination where he served lunch and some of the best pies sold anywhere around the area. I do not know if he is still in business. During this time "cake mix" cookies were all the rage, so when I came across his recipe for these
Gooey Chewy Chocolate Cookies in our local newspaper I clipped it out and put it away, for a very long time. This week I decided to give the recipe a try and I'm very glad that I did. These cookies are wonderful, and so easy being made with only four ingredients. The cookies are large and chocolaty, definitely a kid-friendly recipe, as well as mom and dad! Blessings...

Recipe:

1 box devil's food cake mix (I used Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix)
1 stick of butter, softened
3 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips (or white or peanut butter chips)

1. Combine the cake mix, butter and eggs in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
2. Stir in the chips.
3. Drop cookie dough on ungreased or parchment paper lined baking sheets using a soup spoon.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies will puff up when in the oven, then fall as they cool. Cool on baking sheet for 1 to 2 minutes to set before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 24 cookies
182 calories each using white chocolate chips

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visiting my parents this week in Nampa. My mom, the little girls, and I made these today. Yummy! Kids had lots of fun too. Thanks for sharing! -Lachelle H.

Suzanne said...

Dear Lachelle,
Thank you so much for trying the cookies, and I'm so glad you had a wonderful time in the kitchen with your mom and girls. What a wonderful time of building memories for your family. Blessings...