Monday, January 13, 2014

Eggnog Spice Bundt Cake

This tasty Bundt cake has eggnog in it, but the eggnog is not a strong taste, for those of you who don't care for the drink. The cake has a warm spicy taste and is very moist. The original recipe was written to be low in calories, but I changed that by adding a Cream Cheese Frosting. I know that the holiday season is over, but if you happen to have some eggnog left in your fridge, as I did, you might give this cake a try. The recipe starts with a box cake mix, so it goes together very quickly. Blessings...

Recipe: 

1 (18-1/4 oz.) box spice cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
1 (4-serving) box instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding and pie filling mix (I used French Vanilla)
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt (I used Greek)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup light eggnog (I used Vanilla Spice eggnog, full fat!)
1 egg
3 egg whites
1-1/2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped (you should have about 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, turning the nuts after 5 minutes. Cool and chop.
2. Coat a nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray or grease a 10" tube pan.
3. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, yogurt, oil, eggnog, egg and egg whites in a large bowl. Mix until creamy, about 1 minute on medium speed.
4. Stir in pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Remove cake from pan and dust with powdered sugar.

Yield: 16 servings
Calories using original ingredients, dusted with powdered sugar = 280 per serving and 2 gms. fiber. I didn't figure out the calories for my variation with frosting.
Note: I use Duncan Hines cake mix because it does not have pudding in the mix. If you use a mix that has pudding in the mix and add more pudding your cake will be extremely heavy. I did that once and the recipe was a failure. I'll post my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe tomorrow.
Original recipe by Holly Clegg and found in Relish Magazine

No comments: