Thursday, September 12, 2013

Zesty Shepherd's Pie

The picture for this dish isn't very good in that it looks like a pile of mashed potatoes and tomato sauce, but the dish is very good and excellent for a weeknight meal. Shepherd's pie is a way of making a one-dish meal that goes back many years. When my siblings and I were growing up a favorite was a hamburger pie with green beans and topped with mashed potatoes, although it wasn't called shepherd's pie back then. There are many variations of shepherd's pie, and I've made many over the years, but I had never made one with a Mexican flair. So, I decided to try my hand at it after trying a recipe that was a dismal failure. I'm sharing my creation here, and hoping for the best! My hubby and I liked it; maybe you will, too. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/2 tsp. Southwest seasoning
1 cup frozen corn
1-1/2 cups picante sauce
1-1/2 - 2 cups mashed potatoes
2/3 cup shredded Mexican four cheese blend, divided
chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired

1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, garlic, green pepper and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in corn, picante sauce and Southwest seasoning. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup of the cheese. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Pour into casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese.
3. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.

Yield: 4-6 servings

2 comments:

cass said...

i cant find southwest seasoning in my store.Any substitutes you can suggest?245

Suzanne said...

Any kind of taco or Mexican-type seasoning would work, just start with about 1/4 teaspoon and go up from there to desired "heat" and flavor.