Thursday, December 13, 2012

Beer Bread-2

I have been making the same beer bread recipe for years, which is posted on the blog, but when I saw this recipe in a recent spice catalog I knew I had to give it a try to compare. I'm sure glad I did! This recipe is a keeper, and even a little better than the other recipe. The thing we really like about this bread is that melted butter is poured over the top of the loaf before baking to make a wonderful rich, crunchy topping. The butter also seeps down around the loaf, making it rich and delicious. So much so, that we didn't feel the need for more butter when we enjoyed the bread with our Beef Barley Soup, recipe posted on 12/11/12. I hope you might try this recipe soon for your family, blessings...

Recipe:

3 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tbsps. baking powder
1-1/2 tsps. salt
1 12-oz. bottle of beer, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted for topping

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees if using a metal loaf pan and 350 degrees if using a glass pan. Lightly grease 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to mix well. Add the beer and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Pour the melted butter over the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until bread tests done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool slightly before slicing.

Yield: 12 slices

5 comments:

cassandra said...

ok, i have made a few beer bread recipes and decided that beer bread was'nt for me. I made this tonight for my husband to go with corned beef and cabbage. He and the kids gave such good compliments i had to try it for myself. yum! i had 2 pieces. It had a mild beer flavor( my kids thought it was banana)and super moist.The melted butter on the top slid all around the bread and created a delicious crust. we all wanted the end pieces:)5 stars if i could rate it

cassandra said...

i forgot to mention i used honey in place of the sugar. just added the honey with the beer to the dry ingredients.

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad you and your family liked the bread! Thank you so much for the comments, and especially about the use of honey.

Suzanne said...

I made the bread today using honey instead of sugar. It worked great. Substitute 1/4 cup honey for 1/4 sugar.

Suzanne said...

I have 2 5 x 9-inch loaf pans and when I made this bread the last time I grabbed the wrong pan. What a mess! Make sure your loaf pan is the traditional size with 3-inch depth or else, as the bread rises the butter will be pushed over the top of the pan and all over the bottom of your oven. I was able to salvage the bread but, what a mess to clean up.