Friday, November 16, 2012

Pumpkin Pie - a Great Tradition

Pumpkin pie is a favorite tradition in our family for Thanksgiving dinner. This is so much so, that one year when I didn't make one, my son let me know that it wasn't Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. I made a Chocolate Silk pie that year, which my daughter-in-law was really happy about because she isn't crazy about pumpkin. I learned a bunch that year! My husband's favorite is mince pie, but I'll save that for another time.

This year I decided to try cooking a pie pumpkin to see how it compared to the stuff in the can. My husband and I really liked the flavor. The texture is a tiny bit softer, but still very good. You can see from the picture that it certainly looks good. The big issue is the time involved in prepping a fresh pumpkin versus opening a can. I would do it again, if time allowed. The test is going to be what my son thinks of his pie when dessert is served on Thanksgiving.

This favorite recipe comes from Marlene Sorosky's cookbook entitled, "Season's Greetings". Blessings...

Recipe:

1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust or 10-inch pie crust
3 large eggs
2 cups canned pumpkin
1/2 cup golden brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1-1/4 cups evaporated milk (from a 12-oz. can)
1 cup whipping cream whipped with 2 tbsps. powdered sugar, if desired.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a rack in the lower third of the oven.
2. In a large mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, beat eggs for a minute.
3. Add the pumpkin, sugars and spices and beat until mixed well. Scrape sides of bowl down and mix a bit more. Gently mix in the evaporated milk.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared shell. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a table knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Tip: Check the pie crust after 45 minutes to make sure that it doesn't get too brown. If it is browning too much, cover the crust with foil or a crust protector. The one I have is aluminum and is a life saver.
Tip: If you need a pie crust recipe, check the labels for Marlene Sorosky's recipe. I've been using this recipe for years with very good luck.



No comments: