Monday, June 4, 2012

Creamy Frozen Fruit Salad

This recipe goes back to when my husband and I were dating and I wanted to make him a meal. I discovered that one of his favorite casseroles at that time was tuna casserole, so I got out my Mom's cookbook and found a recipe that I continue to use today. But, in addition to a green salad, I wanted to do something fun, so I used this recipe for Creamy Frozen Fruit Salad that I found in a magazine. He liked the salad, so I made it often, then there were just too many salads to try and this one got forgotten until I came upon it in my file a few weeks ago. Goodness, it brought back memories of our early years together. The salad is rich and creamy with a very fresh taste created by the use of lemonade. It's great for a summer meal, Blessings...

Recipe:

1 pkg. (3 oz.) strawberry flavor gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 can (6 oz.) frozen concentrated pink lemonade
1 8-oz. container Cool Whip whipped topping
1 can (16 oz.) sliced peaches, drained
1 can (8 oz.) sliced pears, drained

1. Chop fruit and set aside.
2. In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add lemonade and stir until melted. Chill until slightly thickened.
3. Blend in the whipped topping until there are no white streaks left; fold in the chopped fruit.
4. Pour into a 9" x 9" pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
5. Remove salad from freezer about 15 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 12

No comments: