Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Surprise Visit

This past weekend we had the most wonderful little "package" show up on our doorstep after dinner. Our son and I spoke Friday morning, so I knew he was going hunting in Oregon over the weekend. He asked me if we would be home to receive a package sometime on Saturday, to which I replied positively. Little did I know that the package that he was talking about was our precious little granddaughter! What a blessing.

Sunday morning I made this quiche recipe that I'm sharing today. This recipe is one that I have been making since our son was a little boy and our family always enjoys. After breakfast I had a very special little kitchen memory created for myself by putting my footstool up to the counter for my granddaughter to stand on so she could help with dishes. She is two-years-old and got very serious about helping grandma by drying dishes. Drying a wooden spoon is a very serious task and a "picture" I will always treasure. My husband and I are very blessed...

Recipe:

Pastry for a 9" One-crust pie
1/2 pound bacon, crisply fried and crumbled
1 cup shredded natural Swiss cheese
1/3 cup minced onion (I've also used green onion with good results)
4 eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup half-and-half cream (I use fat-free with good results, a few less calories)
Salt if needed, be careful because of the bacon
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. cayenne red pepper

1. Prepare pastry
2. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pastry-lined pie pan.
3. Combine remaining ingredients with a fork and pour mixture into pie pan.
4. Bake quiche in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking for an additional 20 - 30 minutes or until table knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

Serves 6 - 8

No comments: