Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cranberry White Chocolate Scones

This past Sunday we were invited to our neighbors home for dinner with their family. When I asked what I could contribute to the meal, my friend said "nothing". If I don't contribute to the meal, I take along a hostess gift to let the hostess know how very thankful we are for her thoughtfulness in inviting us. This "family" time is especially meaningful to my husband and I because we are so far away from our family. It is wonderful to connect with others over a meal.

This recipe is my version of a recipe that I got out of a "Taste of Home Cooking School" magazine years ago. I love, love scones with tea in the morning. I hope you might as well. Blessings...

Recipe:

1-3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup cold butter
2/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 whole egg  (see recipe for homemade that I have posted)
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
2 tsps. orange zest
Sugar crystals for sprinkling on tops

1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients
2. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
3. Combine yogurt and egg substitute and add to dry mixture; stir in remaining ingredients except sugar crystals. Mix just until combined.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8 - 10 times. Pat dough out to a 9" circle. Sprinkle with additional sugar or sugar crystals.
5. Cut into 8 wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown. (I always cut one open a little to make sure they are done.)

Yield: 8 scones
2 grams fiber each

No comments: