Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hawaiian Coleslaw

Years ago when I was a single, young woman, I received this recipe from a friend in order to prepare it for a dinner party at my church. I remember making the salad for the dinner, but I had not made the dish since that time. So one evening when I needed a salad for dinner, and I was going through the refrigerator to see what was available, I found that I had the ingredients needed to make the recipe. Much to my delight, my husband and I loved the salad.
I have many coleslaw recipes that we like, but this one has definitely become a favorite. The actual recipe calls for a whole head of cabbage, which would be great for a large gathering, but way too much for two, or even a family, and the salad will not save for a long period of time. I was able to save the leftovers for us for our meal the next day, but the color did drain out of the cherries (I used up some candied cherries leftover from Christmas baking. I do not know if this would happen with maraschino cherries). The flavor was not impacted; the salad just didn't look quite as pretty. I will give the recipe as it was written for me and then give a version for a smaller quantity. Basically, what I did was to go by what looked about right for us, so please gauge by these measurements for the size of your family. Blessings...

Recipe:

1 head cabbage, shredded
1 16-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
3-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 cup red maraschino cherries, halved

1. Place cabbage in large salad bowl.
2. Spoon pineapple, with some juice, into cabbage. Add mayo and stir to combine the ingredients.  Save extra juice in case you might want to add more at serving time. Chill salad for about an hour.
3. At serving time, add cherries and more pineapple juice if the salad is not moist enough for your taste.

Yield: 8 servings

Salad for two:
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 soup spoons (approx) pineapple
1-1/2 teaspoons mayo
2 tablespoons cherries.

These measurements are approximate. I just made sure the salad was moist and flavorful.

No comments: